History

 

The Orleans Waterfront Inn stands as a beautiful historic monument to the past of Orleans, Massachusetts.

Nicholas and Constance were one of seven families who, after being deeded the land by Governor Bradford, left Plymouth to settle the Nauset Region, which later became the towns of Wellfleet, Eastham, and Orleans.

Generations later, the Snow family had become an integral thread in the fabric of Orleans life. In 1797, Isaac Snow was instrumental in the incorporation and renaming of the town of Orleans.

Where today our back deck fronts Town Cove, Aaron had constructed a wharf, made from the timbers of a vessel shipwrecked on the notoriously dangerous Nauset Shoals.

The wharf was home to Aaron's schooner, the Nettie M Rogers, which sailed the New England coast, bringing to Orleans her cargo of oil, grain, and fuel for sale to the town's people. From this building, his home, and the surrounding buildings, Aaron and his family ran a store.

Aaron's son, William H., later moved the family business to the center of Orleans where, to this day, it is run under the Snow name, by the Snow family. Aaron died on May 10, 1892, and the building, which came to be known to locals as "Aaron's Folly," remained empty until it was purchased in 1900.

During the first 30 or so years of this century, under at least four different owners, the building was run as a boarding house. The northeast and southwest wings were added to the structure shortly after World War II and the building became first a summer, then a year-round hotel.

Once again the doors of The Orleans Inn are open to Orleans' residents and visitors. The Maas family has lovingly restored the Inn to its beautiful splendor.

Ed and Laurie Maas invite you to listen to the tales this old home has to tell, to steep yourselves in the past and become a part of The Orleans Inn's on-going story.

Laurie's father, the late Clifford Gustafson, created the oil paintings on display throughout the Inn during family summer vacations on Rock Harbor. O'Hagans Irish Pub was named after Ed's mother, Kathleen, who was born in County Down, Ireland.

Laurie's father, the late Clifford Gustafson, created the oil paintings on display throughout the Inn during family summer vacations on Rock Harbor. O'Hagans Irish Pub was named after Ed's mother, Kathleen, who was born in County Down, Ireland.

 

Orleans Waterfront Inn
3 Old County Road, Orleans MA 02653
Phone: 800-863-3039 or 508-255-2222
  • © 2017

      |  The Orleans Waterfront Inn  |  All Rights Reserved  |

    Site Map